Skyline of Simpelveld
Location in Limburg
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Richard de Boer (VVD)|
|• Total||16.03 km2 (6.19 sq mi)|
|• Land||16.03 km2 (6.19 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.00 km2 (0.00 sq mi)|
|Elevation||138 m (453 ft)|
|• Density||656/km2 (1,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Simpelveld (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈsɪmpəlˌvɛlt] (listen); Limburgish: Zumpelveld) is a municipality and a town in the southeastern Netherlands. It is part of the municipal cooperative unit Parkstad Limburg.
The population centre of Simpelveld has 28 national monuments, amongst which are the Oude Molen and the Saint Remigius Church. Simpelveld has a heritage railway station and is the home base of the South Limburg Railway Company. On one weekend in October there is a Day out with Thomas from the children's television series Thomas and Friends.
Besides these official centres there are other hamlets which fall under the municipality:
The municipality has two churches within its borders:
The city also has two monasteries, these are
- the Loreto monastery and
- Huize Damiaan.
Neither of the monasteries is inhabited.
Simpelveld is part of The Netherlands and therefore the official language is Dutch. A lot of people also speak Simpelvelds, a regional language that depending on the definition belongs to Ripuarian or Limburgish. It is also referred to as Southeast Limburgish.
- Step Vaessen (born 1965) a Dutch broadcast journalist, currently working as a Moscow correspondent for Al Jazeera English
- Ralph Hamers (born 1966) a Dutch businessman, the chief executive officer (CEO) of ING Group
- Jolanda Jetten (born 1970, Simpelveld) a Dutch social psychologist and academic
- "Burgemeester mr. R. (Richard) de Boer" [Mayor mr. R. (Richard) de Boer] (in Dutch). Gemeente Simpelveld. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Postcodetool for 6369AH". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- Media related to Simpelveld at Wikimedia Commons
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Simpelveld.|